from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- v. Variant of dis.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To put (someone) down, or show disrespect by the use of insulting language or dismissive behaviour.
- n. An insult or put-down; an expression of disrespect.
- abbr. for dissertation.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An Algerian name for the Arundo tenax, a reedy grass, the fibers of which are used for making cordage.
- n. An abbreviation of dissertation.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. treat, mention, or speak to rudely
Originated in w:Jamaican Vernacular English or w:African American Vernacular English, probably originally short for disrespect or disparage. (Wiktionary)