from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to Switzerland or its people or culture.
- n. A native or inhabitant of Switzerland.
- n. A person of Swiss descent.
- n. A crisp, sheer cotton fabric used for curtains or light garments.
- n. A firm white or pale yellow cheese with a nutlike flavor and many holes, originally produced in Switzerland.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of, from, or pertaining to Switzerland or the Swiss people.
- n. A person from Switzerland or of Swiss descent.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to Switzerland, or the people of Switzerland.
- n. A native or inhabitant of Switzerland; a Switzer; the people of Switzerland.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or belonging to Switzerland or the Swiss.
- An imitation of this, made by machinery, which has to a great extent superseded the real needlework.
- n. A native or an inhabitant of Switzerland, a republic of Europe, surrounded by France, Italy, and the Austrian and German empires.
- n. A hireling soldier; more loosely, a hireling of any kind; a Switzer (which see).
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the natives or inhabitants of Switzerland
- adj. of or relating to Switzerland or its people or culture
CHRISTIAN FREI, SWISS FILMMAKER: As a Swiss filmmaker, I feel deeply ashamed because Mr. Polanski was supposed to be honored this evening.
CHRISTIAN FREI, SWISS FILMMAKER: As a Swiss filmmaker, I feel deeply ashamed, because Mr. Polanski was supposed to be honored this evening.
The term "Swiss bank account" sounds straight out of Ludlum or Le Carre, but Romney's detractors see it more as another emblem of wealth and privilege.
If the phrase "Swiss cheese" still conjures the sort of holey slice that you put in a mousetrap, please treat yourself to a generous wedge of Montagne du Jura.
Widmer-Schlumpf emphasized that Switzerland's decision was not based on a determination of Polanski's guilt or innocence but only on the validity of the extradition request presented by the United States and what she described as Swiss national interests.
If there is still tissue, he can put it back together again using what he describes as a "Swiss roll technique".
Mr. Oschwald was giving a tour of what he called the Swiss Fort Knox, one of two former military bunkers in the bowels of the Alps that companies run by Mr. Oschwald and his business partner, Hanspeter Baumann, have leased from the Swiss military.
His real salary is unknown because its all bag money thats put in Swiss and offshore accts.
I am ashamed to be Swiss, that the Swiss is doing such a thing to brilliant fantastic genius, that millions and millions of people love his work, Weisser said upon learning the director had been detained by Swiss authorities.
Reveal the names of all the Americans who have hidden money in Swiss bank accounts in an effort to avoid paying taxes.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.