American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. One that equalizes, as:
- n. A device for equalizing pressure or strain.
- n. A tone control system designed to compensate for frequency distortion in audio systems.
- n. Slang A deadly weapon, such as a firearm or switchblade.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who or that which equalizes or makes equal; an adjuster; a leveler.
- n. Specifically, a pivoted bar attached to the pole of a wagon and carrying at its ends the swingletrees to which the horses are attached; an evener. Also called equalizing-bar.
- n. Also spelled equaliser.
- n. In a wide sense, any form of balanced bar designed to equalize irregular strains, as in the buffers of a car-platform or the springs used to keep a car-vestibule closed under the swaying of the cars when in motion.
- n. A box or tank, loosely filled with sand, coke, sawdust, or other cleansing material, through which the gas from a producer is passed to make its quality uniform.
- n. One who makes equal; a balancer.
- n. A goal that equalizes the score.
- n. A electronic audio device for altering the frequencies of sound recordings.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. One who, or that which, equalizes anything.
- n. same as Equalizing bar.
- n. A device, as a bar, for operating two brakes, esp. a pair of hub brakes for an automobile, with equal force.
- n. (Elec.) Any device for equalizing the pull of electromagnets; also, a conductor of low resistance joining the armature ends of the series field coils of dynamos connected in parallel.
- n. (Aëronautics) A sliding panel to preserve the lateral stability of an aëroplane.
- n. (Electronics) a device or circuit within a sound-reproducing system that reproduces the original frequency distribution of the sound before recording by compensating for inequialities in the frequency response of the system.
- n. slang a gun.
- n. a weight that balances another weight
- n. electronic equipment that reduces frequency distortion
- n. a score that makes the match even
“The one equalizer is they can give up rebounds as any small guy.”
“The great equalizer is kids, when you go home and see your kids, you have no choice but to forget about work and be a father.”
“Kaberle set up the equalizer from the top of the right faceoff circle.”
“By focusing on a range of issues - sexual predation, teenage suicide, bullying, sexting, drug and alcohol abuse, sexual trafficking - Boyd has shown, often to the dismay of those in the tech community who believe that the Internet is the ultimate equalizer, that issues of race, class and gender persist in the virtual world just as in the real world.”
“The equalizer is his slider and a healthy Kazmir with a full arsonel could spell trouble for the Sox.”
“T-Qualizer t-shirts, also known as equalizer shirts, use paper-thin electroluminescent technology powered by a small battery pack to illuminate and flash along to the beat of any music playing nearby.”
“The phone's help file and this very forum mention a call equalizer, but I can't find it anywhere.”
“According to the intelligence historian, Richard Aldrich, the British tried to use the Commonwealth as an "equalizer", summoning the Canadians and the Australians to a London signals intelligence summit before meeting the Americans, Shortly afterwards, Stewart Menzies, the head of MI6, met an American team led by Joseph Wenger at Bryanston Square in London to work on a bilateral deal.”
“Our efforts, as individual member countries of the African continent are being directed at putting in place the necessary infrastructure for increased economic activity in the continent. rt of that critical infrastructure is information technology (IT), which is the one "equalizer" that can push Africa into the 21st Century.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘equalizer’.
With focus on non-classical styles, but not excluding terms of the latter.
Inspired by the Audio Cyclopedia, by Howard M. Tremaine
From the novel by William Lindsay Gresham
afternoon delight, almost unreal, full of spark, dazzle n daze, alarming stride, rushing tide, double dagger, in the nude, constant pressure, widow maker, bourbon on the rocks, air fare holme and 311 more...
Looking for tweets for equalizer.