American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The industry or occupation devoted to the catching, processing, or selling of fish, shellfish, or other aquatic animals.
- n. A place where fish or other aquatic animals are caught.
- n. A fishing business.
- n. A hatchery for fish.
- n. The legal right to fish in specified waters or areas.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The business of catching fish; the fishing industry.
- n. In law, a right of fishing in certain waters.
- n. A place where fish are regularly caught, or other products of the sea or rivers are taken from the water by fishing, diving, dredging, etc.: as, a salmon-fishery; a pearl-fishery; the fisheries of the coast.
- n. The exercise of the right to fish; a fishing venture or season.
- n. uncountable the catching, processing and marketing of fish, shellfish etc
- n. countable a place where fish etc are caught or processed
- n. countable a fishing company
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The business or practice of catching fish; fishing.
- n. A place for catching fish.
- n. (Law) The right to take fish at a certain place, or in particular waters.
- n. a workplace where fish are caught and processed and sold
“Alas, the fishery is a pale ghost of its former glory.”
“Let me state clearly that the fishery is the backbone of our economy and it will be the foundation on which the economic and social life of Newfoundland will depend for generations to come.”
“I feel that the comm'l fishery is wasted on the majority of the permit holders (there are approximately 4000 +/-) who are not fisheries income dependent, but are looking to subsidize a very expensive hobby.”
“But in the 1990s the fluke fishery from the Carolinas up to Maine was decimated.”
“The bluefin tuna fishery is highly regulated in the US, the problem lies in Japan and other parts of the world that do not adhere to their quotas.”
“Here in jersey, the Striper fishery is Closed Jan. 1 to Mar. 31, though the water is usually a bit cold, they can still be caught in early Jan. +1 Good Comment?”
“The Great Lakes fishery is whole, all the lakes are connected.”
“The west acts as if there fishery is a pure one, we all know that isn't the case.”
“I absolutely agree that the Manzanillo fishery is not your typical flats environment and it is not a place where you can “feed” these big fish.”
“If a fishery is depleted, this is a failure of management.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘fishery’.
Budgetese - not a sexy topic but a very comprehensive list of words and collocations used in EU circles. Budgeting experts please comment and expand.
heading, across-the-board ..., emergency reserve, frontload, mopping-up, performance reserve, positive margin, negative margin, public finances, structural operat..., administrative ex..., management of EU ... and 657 more...
additionality, audit trail, accounting standards, auditing standards, general audit obj..., a posteriori audit, a priori audit, above board, acceptable error ..., access rights, accountability, accountable entities and 1283 more...
looks like there's not an open Moby Dick list. So now there is.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
downstream activity, downstream sector, discards, depletion of stocks, demolition of fis..., direct restocking, distant water and..., conservation refe..., deep-sea fishing, country of flag, biological recove..., discarded catch and 153 more...
All words of the Lisbon Treaty
(Persons' names, foreign and grammatical words have been eliminated, MWEs have been split up into individual words. Capitalization has been retained if r...
1. Strictly EU terms with special European meaning used only in the EU
2. Keywords central to the understanding of the EU (people working for the EU are usually able to give thematic...
Terms defined in the glossary of Clifford W. Ashley's "Yankee Whaler".
"It was then that Delirium noticed that she had absent-mindedly transformed into a hundred and eleven perfect, tiny multicolored fish."
Assortment of fishy or somehow entertaining fish...
Looking for tweets for fishery.