American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The act, occupation, or sport of catching fish.
- n. A place for catching fish.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The art or practice of catching fish.
- n. A fishery; a place or facilities for catching fish: as, there is good fishing there.
- adj. Of, or pertaining to fishing.
- n. uncountable The activity or sport of catching fish from a body of water.
- n. uncountable The business of catching fish, molluscs, crustaceans or echinoderms in large quantities for sale.
- n. countable A place for catching fish.
- v. present participle of fish.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The act, practice, or art of one who fishes.
- n. A fishery.
- adj. Pertaining to fishing; used in fishery; engaged in fishing
- n. the occupation of catching fish for a living
- n. the act of someone who fishes as a diversion
“Mo. for trout my main fishing is on the Mississippi for catfish.”
“There are plenty of campsites and the fishing is awesome.”
“Well, I hope sea fishing is all properly explained now.”
“Deep sea fishing is available there, and (thankfully) no time-share salespeople or hordes of trinket sellers preying on the beachgoers.”
“Deep sea fishing is awesome and exciting, a real physical challenge, but for some reason the Everglades sound better at the moment.”
“When the winds from the east the fishing is the least”
“And what you call fishing for compliments, I call picking a fight.”
“The government is basically accusing defense lawyers of going on what they call a fishing expedition, trying to get them to reveal both their military strategy, as well as their trial strategy.”
“At the outset our fishermen were what you call fishing craftsmen.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘fishing’.
A combined list of
1. EU Buzz - single words
2. EU Buzz - collocations
3. EU Buzz - the 100 most active
absorption capacity, absorption rate, acceding country, accession candidate, accession countries, accession country, accession criteria, accession cycle, accession negotia..., accession partner..., accession priorities, accession treaty and 2650 more...
Inspired by the creepy decadence of Against Nature by Joris-Karl Huysmans.
katzenklavier, pasilalinic-sympa..., the jewel-encrust..., bird's nest soup, ghost net, bottom trawling, coal industry, cat juggling, rattlesnake roundup, fishing, dancing bear, defoliant and 89 more...
includes words of the "Prodcom list"
All words of the Lisbon Treaty
(Persons' names, foreign and grammatical words have been eliminated, MWEs have been split up into individual words. Capitalization has been retained if r...
List of terms used in the card game pinochle, beginning with meld and trick.
Things and situations that draw and inspire humans and/or animals, to interact with one another.
Very basic words for ESL students.
Listening to this as an audio book for the second time. Tim O'Brien uses simple words and phrases to great effect. Very few unfamilar and big words . The writing style reminds me of words from Joh...
An obnoxious and ridiculous madlib list where verbish '-ing' words fill in the blank wherein the blank is a call for a beating.
"You're ________in' for a brus...
Fishing on the Susquehanna in July
by Billy Collins
I have never been fishing on the Susquehanna
or on any river for that matter
to be perfectly honest.
Looking for tweets for fishing.