from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The business or practice of hunting, killing, and processing whales.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The practice of hunting whales.
- n. The practice of spotting whales.
- n. A beating.
- v. Present participle of whale.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The hunting of whales.
- adj. Pertaining to, or employed in, the pursuit of whales
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act or business of taking whales; the pursuit of whales; whale-fishing: much used in compounds: as, a whaling-ship; a whaling-voyage; whaling- grounds; bay -whaling; shore-whaling.
- Big, unusual, or extraordinary of its kind; strapping; whopping; whacking: as, a whaling lie.
Sorry, no etymologies found.