from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The skill required to operate and navigate a vessel; navigation.
- n. The sport of operating or riding in a sailboat.
- n. Departure or time of departure from a port.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Motion across a body of water in a craft powered by the wind, as a sport or otherwise
- n. Navigation; the skill needed to operate and navigate a vessel
- n. The time of departure from a port
- adj. Travelling by ship
- v. Present participle of sail.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of one who, or that which, sails; the motion of a vessel on water, impelled by wind or steam; the act of starting on a voyage.
- n. The art of managing a vessel; seamanship; navigation.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of one who or of that which sails.
- n. The art or rules of navigation; the art or the act of directing a ship on a given line laid down in a chart; also, the rules by which a ship's tack is determined and represented on a chart, and by which the problems relating to it are solved.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the activity of flying a glider
- n. the work of a sailor
- n. the departure of a vessel from a port
- n. riding in a sailboat
Sorry, no etymologies found.