American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A waiting room or lounge for the use of performers when they are offstage, as in a theater or concert hall.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A room near the stage in a theater, to which actors retire during the intervals of their parts in the play.
- n. A room in a warehouse where new or green cloth is received from the weaving factory.—
- n. A room in a medical college where the faculty meet to hold examinations, etc.
- n. An apartment for drying damp or ‘green’ pottery before it is burned.
- n. alternative spelling of green room.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The retiring room of actors and actresses in a theater.
- n. a backstage room in a theater where performers rest or have visitors
- So called because such rooms were originally painted green. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The function of poetry and the arts is to remind us that the greenroom is the greyest of illusions, and the reality is the drama presented before us, all its paint and tinsel, masks and pageantry, made one in art.”
“She pulled Bianca aside in the greenroom before they went on.”
“They return to the greenroom several minutes later in order to squeeze in a few more minutes of practice.”
“If you had told Kambiz Hosseini 10 years ago, when he was a poor immigrant pumping gas in a small Oregon town, that one day Jon Stewart would bound eagerly into a greenroom looking for him and asking, Where are my dudes?”
“In the show's greenroom, a 24-pack of shot-size cans of Red Bull awaited.”
“But when we walk into a greenroom after sitting in a grimy, sweaty van for hours and see a month's worth of groceries sitting in coolers, it's like walking into heaven.”
“Could NOT go down the hall to the guest's greenroom.”
“I went in an hour early, put up signs inviting everyone to lunch in the large greenroom that's used for The View.”
“And when Cyrus stopped for a touch-up at the makeup table corner, the older actress pointed to the greenroom and yelled, "Miley, we are forging ahead in here!”
“The designers are sent to the greenroom to wait for their fate while the judges deliberate.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘greenroom’.
An add-on to Trivet's list elbow room and Lampbane's list 2BDRM W/VU that tries not to duplicate Trivet's and Lampbane's existing rooms. Virtual, allegorical and proverbial rooms accepted.
A lits of greens: cooked leafy vegetables; pigments, paint names, compound words, etc; words and phrases that pertain to or contain "green". Please add your favorites!
See this list f...
green,how its used
Looking for tweets for greenroom.