from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A waiting room or lounge for the use of performers when they are offstage, as in a theater or concert hall.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Alternative spelling of green room.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The retiring room of actors and actresses in a theater.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A room near the stage in a theater, to which actors retire during the intervals of their parts in the play.
- n. A room in a warehouse where new or green cloth is received from the weaving factory.—
- n. A room in a medical college where the faculty meet to hold examinations, etc.
- n. An apartment for drying damp or ‘green’ pottery before it is burned.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a backstage room in a theater where performers rest or have visitors
So called because such rooms were originally painted green.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)