from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A waiting room or lounge for the use of performers when they are offstage, as in a theater or concert hall.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Alternative spelling of green room.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The retiring room of actors and actresses in a theater.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A room near the stage in a theater, to which actors retire during the intervals of their parts in the play.
- n. A room in a warehouse where new or green cloth is received from the weaving factory.—
- n. A room in a medical college where the faculty meet to hold examinations, etc.
- n. An apartment for drying damp or ‘green’ pottery before it is burned.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a backstage room in a theater where performers rest or have visitors
The function of poetry and the arts is to remind us that the greenroom is the greyest of illusions, and the reality is the drama presented before us, all its paint and tinsel, masks and pageantry, made one in art.
She pulled Bianca aside in the greenroom before they went on.
They return to the greenroom several minutes later in order to squeeze in a few more minutes of practice.
If you had told Kambiz Hosseini 10 years ago, when he was a poor immigrant pumping gas in a small Oregon town, that one day Jon Stewart would bound eagerly into a greenroom looking for him and asking, Where are my dudes?
In the show's greenroom, a 24-pack of shot-size cans of Red Bull awaited.
But when we walk into a greenroom after sitting in a grimy, sweaty van for hours and see a month's worth of groceries sitting in coolers, it's like walking into heaven.
Could NOT go down the hall to the guest's greenroom.
I went in an hour early, put up signs inviting everyone to lunch in the large greenroom that's used for The View.
And when Cyrus stopped for a touch-up at the makeup table corner, the older actress pointed to the greenroom and yelled, "Miley, we are forging ahead in here!"
The designers are sent to the greenroom to wait for their fate while the judges deliberate.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.