American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A man who cuts, sells, or delivers ice.
- n. Slang A hired killer.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A man skilled in traveling upon ice.
- n. One who is engaged in the industry of gathering and storing ice for commercial or domestic uses; a dealer in ice; also, one who distributes ice to customers.
- n. An official whose duty it is to keep the ice on a skating-pond in order and to assist those who meet with accidents while skating. See ice-muster, 2.
- n. A person who trades in ice.
- n. A man who is skilled in travelling upon ice, as among glaciers.
- n. slang An assassin.
- n. slang One who is cool under pressure.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A man who is skilled in traveling upon ice, as among glaciers.
- n. One who deals in ice; one who retails or delivers ice.
- n. a professional killer
- n. someone who cuts and delivers ice
- ice + -man (Wiktionary)
“It was from watching the Stooges that I learned who the iceman was and what he cameth for, that people used to listen to the radio instead of watching television, that a dime would buy you a cup of coffee and a piece of pie, that there were still horse-drawn delivery wagons working in the streets, and that men wore suits everywhere, even in the unemployment line.”
“Back in the day when people used iceboxes to keep food cold, the iceman was a constant visitor in everyone's home, but once refrigerators became affordable, the iceman went the way of the Dodo bird.”
“Come to think of it, that would be quite a match up; the iceman is a monster, but do you think he could take out alexander the great's most decorated warrior in full battle regalia (i.e. javelin, armor, sword)?”
“I wonder if his old girlfriend gave him the name "iceman"?”
“Now "iceman" means somebody cold enough to just up and kill some poor son of bitch outright without any forethought or reason--"The man's got ice, man.”
“I think I'm going to call you the "iceman" from now on.”
“The tours, led by "iceman" Bo Shaffer, will take curious festival-goers to the Tuff Shed where the body of "Grandpa" Bredo Morstoel is cooled to 60 degrees below zero.”
“Miller Switzerland's "iceman", Carlo Janka, the 23-year-old wonderkid, is 0.6 down at the second split despite skiing now in patchy sunshine, the best conditions so far, but is well adrift.”
“In the movie 'iceman' with Timothy Hutton, an anthropolotist sits at a camp fire with a caveman revived from 25000 years ago.”
“When this "iceman" died 5,300 years ago, the crevise he died in was lower than the level of the glacier that would later form.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘iceman’.
Everything that contains a man in it
Some of these professions still exist today but the word for them has changed; some (mason or boatswain, for example), are still in use but are included for their rich historical associations. Som...
Once upon a time, I'd've done anything to get in their underwear.
Looking for tweets for iceman.