from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To chew (food).
- transitive v. To grind and knead (rubber, for example) into a pulp.
- intransitive v. To chew food.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To chew (food).
- v. To grind or knead something into a pulp.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To grind or crush with, or as with, the teeth and prepare for swallowing and digestion; to chew.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To grind with the teeth, and prepare for swallowing and digestion; chew: as, to masticate food.
- To prepare for use by cutting or kneading, as with a masticator.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. grind and knead
- v. chew (food); to bite and grind with the teeth
I did, however, get to masticate sika deer, which is sensational.
It is also possible that carbohydrates are easier to masticate compared to some other foods such as meat which may be easier to eat when puréed and spoon-fed.
After which I need to go away and mentally masticate.
Colman Andrew's book not only tells us of the life of Ferran Adria, and makes us wish to have had the opportunity to eat at the restaurant, but he also cooks up a dish that we must masticate in order to ingest.
Having bitten off this large mouthful, Mr. Burroughs proceeds with serene and beautiful satisfaction to masticate it in the following fashion.
To assist in learning to speak, its helps if children have foods that requires them to masticate.
To all the trolls:Take small bites and masticate that crow thoroughly, and ask praetorian to pass the salt.
We've had an entire console generation -- and then some -- to masticate the first three Silent Hill games, and because of that, I think we're forgetting some things.
Seeing someone masticate and gag back up such swill makes me depressed.
Morning tea called for sugar and there was plenty to masticate.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.