from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A male shaman or shamanistic healer, especially among Native American peoples.
- n. A hawker of brews and potions among the audience in a medicine show.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A Native American shamanistic healer.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a person who professes to cure sickness, drive away evil spirits, and regulate the weather by the arts of magic; a shaman.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Among American Indians and other savage races, a man supposed to possess mysterious or supernatural powers: a name used in English to translate various native names.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a Native American shaman
Probably a calque of Ojibwe mashkikiiwinini ("doctor"), from mashkiki ("medicine") + inini ("man"). (Wiktionary)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.