American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Ornamental trimming for a garment, as braid, lace, or metallic beads.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Edgings and trimmings in general, especially those made of gimp, braid, or the like: often made with jet or metal beads: as, jet passementerie; plain passementerie (that is, without beading). See passement.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. Trimmings, esp. of braids, cords, gimps, beads, or tinsel.
- n. a decoration or adornment on a garment
- From the French passement, meaning 'decorative lace'. (Wiktionary)
- French, from passement, ornamental braid, cloth, from Old French, a passing, from passer, to pass; see pass. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“It was there that we first saw extraordinary dressmaker details - edging with beautiful "passementerie," along with beads, buttons, feathers and appliques on linen, velvet, wool, felt, leather, cashmere and silk.”
“In 1910, wrote Richardson, she already stood out for the unconventional sparseness of her rooms, for her disdain of poufs and potted palms and too much passementerie ....”
“It is easy to imagine that the five decorative tassels in a discreet wall case near the entrance are the tips of a vast and justifiably little-explored iceberg of passementerie.”
“The tireless attention to detail of the beading or passementerie used to finish Mr. St. Laurent's thought?”
“Handmade passementerie a dying art and his use of age old techniques is encouraging for the future.”
“They have revived the ancient craft of passementerie to a new level gaining the respect as a new art form.”
““He insulted us all and the Confederacy too,” said Mrs. Merriwether, and her stout bust heaved violently beneath its glittering passementerie trimmings.”
“On his way to the passementerie, my source of knowledge spoke briefly over his shoulder, 'It looks like a solitary weaver, not a firm.”
“I asked you to catalogue the new shipment of passementerie.”
“I was on the point of taking a job with a firm that made passementerie, on Rue des Victoires.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘passementerie’.
More words for intermediate and advanced spellers.
Being a list of words which have "especially" in their definitions.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
Fashion elegance, oddities, styles, and cool garments.
Fissiparous Weekly Standard Nigeria a fissiparous country 3/2012
For stuff to simply reside.
great words come across doing freelance fact-checking and copyediting work.
Looking for tweets for passementerie.