- n. baseball A substitute batter; one who pinch-hits.
- n. cricket An aggressive batsman brought on to score runs quickly, even at the risk of losing his wicket.
- n. colloquial An individual who substitutes for another to perform one or more tasks.
- n. (baseball) a substitute for the regular batter
- pinch hit + -er (Wiktionary)
“Giants pinch hitter Matty Alou led off the frame with a bunt base hit.”
“Hearing the collective groans from Shorty’s , I refused to bat an eye, even when pinch hitter Hideki Matsui ripped a single to left, moving Posada to third.”
“Allowing eight baserunners through his first five innings, Burnett struggled at times, but only surrendered one run—by way of a sixth-inning RBI triple to left by pinch hitter Brendan Harris—during his six-inning journey through the Twins lineup.”
“In the top of the ninth, Fred Lynn, George Scott, and pinch hitter Bob Bailey, batting for Brohamer, all walked.”
“I made it just in time to watch left-handed pinch hitter Gary Matthews, Jr. step into the batter’s box with two out.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘pinch hitter’.
Very familiar names, compound words and phrases containing HH or H H
Words without which cricket could not be.
Looking for tweets for pinch hitter.