from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A public square or similar open area in a town or city.
- n. A widened roadway forming the approach to tollbooths on a highway.
- n. A parking or service area next to a highway.
- n. A shopping center.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a town’s public square.
- n. an open area used for gathering in a city, often having small trees and sitting benches.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A public square in a city or town.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A public square or open space surrounded by houses in a Spanish or Spanish-American town or city; a marketplace in such a town: as, the Plaza of San Francisco.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a public square with room for pedestrians
- n. mercantile establishment consisting of a carefully landscaped complex of shops representing leading merchandisers; usually includes restaurants and a convenient parking area; a modern version of the traditional marketplace
The main plaza is gone, streets are in ruins, huge trees and walls fell in the storms, homes were destroyed, many people died and more are missing, and rebuilding will take months if not years.
How can you dislike a town whose main plaza is known as Marimba Park where free marimba concerts are held every weekend while locals sit around eating ice cream or drinking beer and enjoying the pleasant cool tropical evenings?
Like most Mexican towns, its main plaza is centered by a bandstand.
The Plaza Principal in Calvillo, Aguascalientes is a popular place on off-days. Located about 50 kilometers southwest of the state capital of Aguascalientes, Calvillo is an important guava producer. Like most Mexican towns, its main plaza is centered by a bandstand. © Diodora Bucur, 2009
The main plaza is extremely attractive having been restored at great cost several years ago, putting a major parking area beneath it, replanting full-grown trees and renovating around the plaza many of the buildings.
The Plaza Uruapan, at Melcho Ocampo 64 on the main plaza, is a 119-room, modern and efficient property, less costly than the Mansion del Cupatitzio.
Across the street, facing the main plaza is Hotel Frey, a more deluxe establishment.
They've also opened it up to what they call plaza cast when you have an opening night a bunch of people watch it outside in Times Square and Lincoln Center on the Jumbotron.
Furthermore, I would specifically recommend that Harwood be bricked between Old City Hall and the park to create a "plaza" - like feel and a physical connection between at least one of the buildings and the park.
The crushing weight of people flooding up onto the plaza was a danger to everyone.
Crowding the rear of the plaza were a few hundred officials of the Order who had traveled in to attend the palace dedication-important men, all.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.