from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Excessive devotion to sensual pleasure; sensuality.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Addiction to or obsession with sensual pleasures or affairs
- n. The doctrine that gratification of the senses is the highest good.
- n. The doctrine that all knowledge not only originates in sensation, but are transformed sensations, copies or relics of sensations; sensationalism.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The condition or character of one who is sensual; subjection to sensual feelings and appetite; sensuality.
- n. The doctrine that all our ideas, or the operations of the understanding, not only originate in sensation, but are transformed sensations, copies or relics of sensations; sensationalism; sensism.
- n. The regarding of the gratification of the senses as the highest good.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A state of subjection to sensual feelings and appetites; sensuality; especially, lewdness.
- n. In philosophy, the doctrine that the only source of knowledge is sensation; sensationalism. Also sensism.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. desire for sensual pleasures
- n. (philosophy) the ethical doctrine that feeling is the only criterion for what is good
sensual + -ism (Wiktionary)