from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One who is habitually careless in personal appearance or work.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A man or boy habitually negligent of neatness and order; -- the male equivalent of slattern, or slut; untidy, dirty.
- n. low, base, lewd
- n. immoral woman
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A man or boy habitually negligent of neathess and order; -- the correlative term to slattern, or slut.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A person who is careless of dress or negligent of cleanliness; a person who is habitually negligent of neatness and order; also, a careless and lazy person.
- n. A knave; a rascal.
- n. Same as Slovene.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a coarse obnoxious person
Middle English slovein, perhaps from Middle Flemish sloovin, a scold, gossip, from Middle Low German slôven, to dress carelessly; akin to Dutch sloof, untidy woman; see sleubh- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Middle Flemish sloovin ("a scold") related to sloef ("untidy, shabby"), from Proto-Germanic *slup- + Old French suffix -ain, from Latin -anus Related to slob, slow, sloth, slush, slurp, sloof, slattern, and slut. (Wiktionary)