from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An untidy, dirty woman.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A slut.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A woman who is negligent of her dress or house; one who is not neat and nice.
- adj. Resembling a slattern; sluttish; slatterny.
- transitive v. To consume carelessly or wastefully; to waste; -- with away.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A woman who is negligent of her dress, or who suffers her clothes and household furniture to be in disorder; one who is not neat and nice; a slut.
- Pertaining to or characteristic of a slattern; slovenly; slatternly.
- To consume carelessly or idly; waste: with away.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a dirty untidy woman
- n. a prostitute who attracts customers by walking the streets
Perhaps from dialectal slattering, slovenly, present participle of dialectal slatter, to slop.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Dating from the seventeenth century; related to slattering ("slovenly"), from the dialectal verb slatter ("to slop, to spill"). (Wiktionary)