from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An untidy, dirty woman.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A slut.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Resembling a slattern; sluttish; slatterny.
- n. A woman who is negligent of her dress or house; one who is not neat and nice.
- transitive v. To consume carelessly or wastefully; to waste; -- with away.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A woman who is negligent of her dress, or who suffers her clothes and household furniture to be in disorder; one who is not neat and nice; a slut.
- Pertaining to or characteristic of a slattern; slovenly; slatternly.
- To consume carelessly or idly; waste: with away.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a dirty untidy woman
- n. a prostitute who attracts customers by walking the streets
I fancy my predecessor must have been a "slattern," for everything was thick with dust.
While "slattern" and "French letter" are dated, they made me think of those cute nicknames parents give the vagina, labia, penis, and scrotum when talking to their kids.
When we first see her in Minneapolis, a slattern in a junk-strewn apartment, she's living on scraps of loveless sex, drinking too much and picking up snatches of kids' conversations here and there, then dropping them into her chronicles of Kendall Strickland, the teenage heroine of a series called Waverly Prep that is, in fact, headed for the dustbin of subliterary history.
I am clearly an unorganized slattern of the worst sort..
I am also curious how you brought the old slattern back.
Why would I be jealous just because I saw you pawing some slattern in the kitchen yard?
An American cackle, piercing my ear, and I shuddered away by instinct, which was sound judgment, for if I felt dreadful, she looked worse, a raddled slattern grinning her stinking breath into my face, reaching out a fat hand across my chest.
And aII because Mrs Huffmaster, a barefoot slattern with half a dozen snottering brats at her heels, "came a-callin"', peeping round Annie on the porch to get a look inside, and remarking slyly "what a smart lot o' shirts your men-folk has ", when we'd carelessly put all our washing out at once, and there were clothes for fifteen or twenty fluttering on the green.
In the perverse way of teenagers, she enjoyed the odd freedom of the scarlet S (for slut, slattern, skank) which she got to (pretend to) wear around the house for the last months she was there.
You are clearly becoming a slattern, and my royal court is run by a hedgerow slut, just as my mother warned me.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.