from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To squirt or spray (something) quickly.
- n. A quick squirt or spray, as of carbonated water.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A sprinkling or spray of liquid; a small amount of liquid.
- v. To spray, sprinkle, or squirt lightly.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. eject (a liquid) quickly
- v. cover (a location) wholly or partially by squirting a liquid onto it
- n. a quick squirt of some liquid (usually carbonated water)
Pennsylvania Dutch schpritze, from Middle High German sprützen, to spray; see sper- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Yiddish שפּריץ (shprits) (the noun) and שפּריצן (shpritsn) (the verb). (Wiktionary)