from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. to cause something one is holding to drop, often forcefully.
- v. to produce or perform (something) admirably or forcefully.
- v. to fight, incite to fight, or approach with the intent to fight; to make a stand.
- v. (by extension) to accomplish or produce something in a grand, respectable, or successful manner; to "represent".
- v. to make an individual contribution to a group effort (eg. money pool, collaborative record album)
- v. to drink a large amount of beer quickly.
US, popularized 1990s in street culture, from idiom throw down the gauntlet ("to issue a challenge"), used in sense “to fight, to incite a fight, to make a stand”. (Wiktionary)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.