from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A place where animals find water to drink.
- n. A health resort with mineral springs; a spa.
- n. Informal A watering hole.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- A place where there are springs of medicinal water, or a place by the sea, or by some large body of water, to which people resort for bathing, recreation, boating, etc.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A place where water may be obtained, as for drinking, for watering cattle, or for supplying ships.
- n. Especially, a place of resort for a particular kind of water, as mineral water; a well, spring, town, etc., famous for its waters; in later use, a bathing-place; a seaside resort; loosely, any summer resort.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a health resort near a spring or at the seaside
Sorry, no etymologies found.