from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A group of animals or birds, especially larks or quail. See Synonyms at flock1.
- n. A group or an assemblage: a bevy of beauties.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A group of animals, in particular quail.
- n. A large group or collection.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A company; an assembly or collection of persons, especially of ladies.
- n. A flock of birds, especially quails or larks; also, a herd of roes.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A flock of birds, especially of larks or quails.
- n. A small company or troop, as of roebucks, heifers, etc.
- n. A group or small company of persons, especially of girls or women, but also used of the male sex: as, “a bevy of powdered coxcombs,” Goldsmith; “a bevy of renegades,” Macaulay, Hist. Eng.
- n. A small collection of objects; an assemblage of things.
- n. Synonyms Covey, etc. See flock.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a flock of birds (especially when gathered close together on the ground)
- n. a large gathering of people of a particular type
In one room sat the computers -- that is, a bevy of mathematically gifted women toiling away on regression analysis with sharp pencils.
Instead I tried to occupy my mind with recollections of my earthly friends; I visualized my childhood days in India as I studied under old Chand Kabi, I thought of dear old Jimmy Welsh, and I recalled a bevy of girls I had liked and with some of whom I had almost been serious.
Science historian Howard Markel discusses how the term later came to refer to a bevy of genetic manipulations.
WASHINGTON - Barack Obama moved emphatically Wednesday to erase the legacy of the past eight years by calling a bevy of Mideast leaders, circulating a not-yet-released executive order to close the Guantanamo prison and deliberately diminishing the powers of his own presidency.
He then goes on to detail the "bevy" of bills that environmental leaders are fighting this session-and where Montana Dems have stood on them.
Soviet Assault expansion pack is now available for World in Conflict, featuring 6 new single missions, a "bevy" of new weapons and more.
It did not appear that Sharon Brown had such a "bevy" as the moneyed Osteen's could afford.
He also kept a bevy of alphabetized 78-rpm records, none of which were released post-1930.
Mimi Ritzen Crawford for The Wall Street Journal Mr. Landroth kept a bevy of alphabetized 78-rpm records, none of which was released post-1930.
Why, she had a bevy of suitors, but she knew about them too, ya know?