from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • transitive v. To tap lightly on the shoulder by way of conferring knighthood.
  • transitive v. To honor with a new title or description.
  • transitive v. To give a name to facetiously or playfully; nickname.
  • transitive v. To strike, cut, or rub (timber or leather, for example) so as to make even or smooth.
  • transitive v. To dress (a fowl).
  • transitive v. To execute (a golf stroke, for example) poorly.
  • n. An awkward person or player; a bungler.
  • transitive v. To thrust at; poke.
  • transitive v. To beat (a drum).
  • intransitive v. To make a thrust.
  • intransitive v. To beat on a drum.
  • n. The act of dubbing.
  • n. A drumbeat.
  • transitive v. To transfer (recorded material) onto a new recording medium.
  • transitive v. To copy (a record or tape).
  • transitive v. To insert a new soundtrack, often a synchronized translation of the original dialogue, into (a film).
  • transitive v. To add (sound) into a film or tape: dub in strings behind the vocal.
  • n. The new sounds added by dubbing.
  • n. A dubbed copy of a tape or record.
  • n. A mostly instrumental style of music originating in Jamaica, produced by remixing existing recordings to emphasize bass and drum rhythms and adding audio effects
  • n. Scots A puddle or small pool.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • v. To make a copy from an original or master audio tape.
  • v. To copy the audio track onto a film.
  • v. To replace the original soundtrack of a film with a synchronized translation
  • v. To mix audio tracks to produce a new sound; to remix.
  • n. A mostly instrumental remix with all or part of the vocals removed.
  • n. A style of reggae music involving mixing of different audio tracks.
  • n. A growing trend of music from 2009 to current in which bass distortion is synced off timing to electronic dance music.
  • n. A piece of graffiti in metallic colour with a thick black outline.
  • n. A pool or puddle.
  • n. A twenty dollar sack of marijuana.
  • n. Wheel rims measuring 20 inches or more.
  • v. To confer knighthood; the conclusion of the ceremony was marked by a tap on the shoulder with the sword.
  • v. To name, to entitle, to call.
  • v. To deem.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. A blow.
  • n. A pool or puddle.
  • intransitive v. To make a noise by brisk drumbeats.
  • transitive v. To confer knighthood upon.
  • transitive v. To invest with any dignity or new character; to entitle; to call.
  • transitive v. To clothe or invest; to ornament; to adorn.
  • transitive v. To strike, rub, or dress smooth; to dab
  • transitive v. To dress with an adz.
  • transitive v. To strike cloth with teasels to raise a nap.
  • transitive v. To rub or dress with grease, as leather in the process of cyrrying it.
  • transitive v. To prepare for fighting, as a gamecock, by trimming the hackles and cutting off the comb and wattles.
  • transitive v. to add sound to an existing recording, audio or video; -- often used with in. The sound may be of any type or of any duration.
  • transitive v. to mix together two or more sound or video recordings to produce a composite recording.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • To strike with a sword in the ceremony of making one a knight; hence, to make or designate as a knight; invest with the knightly character.
  • [This catch, a scrap of which is also put into the mouth of Silence in Shakspere's 2 Henry IV., v. 3, alludes to a convivial custom, according to which he who drank a large potation of wine or other liquor, on his knees, to the health of his mistress, was jocularly said to be dubbed a knight, and retained his title for the evening.]
  • Hence To confer a new character or any dignity or name upon; entitle; speak of as.
  • To invest, with the dress and insignia of a knight, or with any distinctive character; in general, to dress; ornament; embellish.
  • To strike, cut, rub, or dress so as to make smooth, or of an equal surface.
  • To rub with grease, as leather when being curried.
  • To raise a nap on, as cloth, by striking it with teazels.
  • To cut off the comb and wattles, and sometimes the earlobes of (a game-cock); trim.
  • To dress (a fishing-fly).
  • To make a quick noise, as by hammering or drumming.
  • To make a fair show outside or on the surface, as by placing the good wares in the upper part of a basket and the inferior beneath.
  • n. A blow.
  • n. A puddle; a small pool of foul, stagnant water.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • v. give a nickname to
  • n. the new sounds added by dubbing
  • v. provide (movies) with a soundtrack of a foreign language
  • v. raise (someone) to knighthood


from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

Middle English dubben, from Old English dubbian, perhaps from Old French aduber.
Perhaps from Low German dubben, to hit, strike.
Short for double.
Origin unknown.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

From a Late Old English (11th century) word dubban ("to knight by striking with a sword") perhaps borrowed from Old French aduber, adober "equip with arms; adorn" (also 11th century, Modern French adouber), of uncertain origin, but possibly from a Frankish *dubban, cognate with Icelandic dubba (dubba til riddara). Compare also drub for an English reflex of the Germanic word.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

From a shortening of the word double.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

Compare Irish word for "mire, stream", Welsh word for "water".



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • Type of music, associated with electronic styles and DJ culture.

    May 16, 2009

  • This is what happens during the sound editing of the film.

    June 18, 2008

  • Scots - puddle, muddy pool.

    December 18, 2007

  • Bud in reverse. Also, an enantiomorph.

    November 2, 2007