from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To put or attach before or in front of.
- transitive v. To settle or arrange in advance.
- transitive v. Grammar To add as a prefix.
- transitive v. Grammar To add a prefix to.
- n. Grammar An affix, such as dis- in disbelieve, attached to the front of a word to produce a derivative word or an inflected form.
- n. A title placed before a person's name.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. That which is prefixed; especially one or more letters or syllables added to the beginning of a word to modify its meaning; as, pre- in prefix, con- in conjure.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. That which is prefixed; esp., one or more letters or syllables combined or united with the beginning of a word to modify its signification.
- transitive v. To put or fix before, or at the beginning of, another thing.
- transitive v. To set or appoint beforehand; to settle or establish antecedently.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To fix or put before; place in front; put at the beginning.
- To fix beforehand; set or appoint in advance; settle beforehand.
- n. A word or syllable, or a number of syllables, rarely more than two, and usually one (sometimes reduced to a single consonant not forming a syllable), affixed to the beginning of a word, to qualify its meaning or direct, its application: opposed to suffix or postfix, a like addition at the end of a word.
- n. The act of prefixing; prefixion.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. attach a prefix to
- n. an affix that is added in front of the word
A note from Noel Hinners: "Keith: "Re the discussion about "confusion" in the usage of the term prefix "nano", there ought to be absolutely no confusion., especially in our profession.
; Params parameters to pass to new instance (retrieved normally, ie: % 2%); when initializing (ie: label = "") Params is a label prefix for all calls
The words meditation and medication have the same prefix derived from the Latin word medicus, meaning to care or to cure, indicating that meditation is likely to be the most effective and efficient remedy for a busy and overworked mind.
Its structure, which adds the * ki - prefix, is suggestive of her being called the thing having the quality of * - goli, or more probably in Northeast-Coastal languages, in which * ki - became a new diminutive suffix, the younger person with the quality of * - goli.
The word meditation and the word medication have the same prefix derived from the Latin word medicus, meaning to care or to cure, indicating that meditation is the most appropriate medicine or antidote for stress; a quiet calmness is the most efficient remedy for a busy and overworked mind.
Also the Latin prefix ‘piña’ implies a cluster of flowers or fruits as in ‘pineapples’ and ‘pine cones’.
However, I suspect that Locus has been a profitable business for at least two decades: if you make your living from it, you're a pro, and the "semi -" prefix is a farce.
The stand alone prefix “re” usually means “again”, but that prefix is not in this word.
_Syn_, a prefix from the Greek, signifies _together_.
Member since 11-08-2008, 10: 00 AM try and make sure few things make sure you have added the tag prefix page directive on the top of the page check your web. config file if it has some refrence from there