American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A person or animal lacking normal pigmentation, with the result being that the skin and hair are abnormally white or milky and the eyes have a pink or blue iris and a deep-red pupil.
- n. A plant that lacks chlorophyll.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A person of pale, milky complexion, with light hair and pink eyes. This abnormal condition appears to depend on an absence of the minute particles of coloring matter which ordinarily occur in the lowest and last-deposited layers of the epidermis or outer skin. Albinos occasionally occur among all races of men.
- n. Hence An animal characterized by the same peculiarity in physical constitution. A perfect albino is pure white, with pink eyes; but there may be every degree of departure from the normal coloration, exhibiting every variation in paleness of color or in spotting or marking with white, such pallid or pied individuals being called
partial albinos. An albino is always a sport or freak of nature, as when one of a brood of crows or blackbirds is snow-white; but albinism tends to become hereditary and thus established, as in the case of white mice, white rabbits, and white poultry. Any albino, therefore, is to be distinguished from an animal that is naturally white, like the snowy heron or polar bear, or that periodically turns white in winter, like the arctic fox, polar hare, or ptarmigan. Some animals are more susceptible to albinism than others, but probably all are liable to the deficiency or total lack of pigment which constitutes this affection.
- n. A plant the leaves of which are marked by the absence of chlorophyl, or whose flowers are exceptionally white. Seealbinism.
- n. In Mexico, a person who has one eighth negro and seven eighths Spanish blood; the child of a Morisco woman (who is the daughter of a mulatto mother and a Spanish father) and of a Spaniard.
- adj. congenitally lacking melanin pigmentation in the skin, eyes, and hair or feathers (or more rarely only in the eyes); born with albinism
- n. countable person or animal congenitally lacking melanin pigmentation in the skin, eyes, and hair or feathers (or more rarely only in the eyes); one born with albinism
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A person, whether negro, Indian, or white, in whom by some defect of organization the substance which gives color to the skin, hair, and eyes is deficient or in a morbid state. An albino has a skin of a milky hue, with hair of the same color, and eyes with deep red pupil and pink or blue iris. The term is also used of the lower animals, as white mice, elephants, etc.; and of plants in a whitish condition from the absence of chlorophyll.
- n. a person with congenital albinism: white hair and milky skin; eyes are usually pink
- Portuguese albino, diminutive of albo, from Latin albus ("white"). (Wiktionary)
- Portuguese, from albo, white, from Latin albus; see albho- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Yes | No | Report from maxwell wrote 40 weeks 3 days ago that albino is awesome.”
“Yes | No | Report from PSEbowhunter wrote 7 weeks 4 days ago they are very rare even more rare than in albino deer”
“MLH ... true albino fish do have pink eyes, but sometimes what makes fish look albino is a melanin deficiency.”
“The first poster is, however, even more seriously deluded and may, for all I know, believe also in albino assassin monks from a non-monastic society.”
“All may be lost, except for a certain albino named Zenith ...”
“But would you say that an albino is inferior to us?”
“In the swamp, a crazy minister with delusions of grandeur and twin albino boy geniuses who were sent off to learn genetics are trying to recreate the great Horned God of their ancestors and return prosperity to the swamp … (grin).”
“You are an albino, that is why you will not attend my wedding.”
“Never saw one myself but have heard stories of White Tail Deer around here that were white patched and some almost all white but not true albino, which is a total lack of pigment.”
“Experts believe it is probably an albino, which is an extremely rare phenomenon in African elephants.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘albino’.
Culturally defined terms and expressions from the four corners of the world
Feel free too add
Significant Words- Guiding you on your path to Snazzibility
Words for colors, including things so associated with a color that they can be used in reference to a color.
A selection of English* words ending with a vowel (except "y", "ea", ie", "ee", "oo", "ea", "ou") that is REALLY pronounced.
My favorite English words, by the way.
The good twin of The ...
Taisha GRE Bible
Words as I learn them.
Words with the letter b within the word, not just as the initial or last letter.
words that evoke magic, mystery, mayhem, magnificence or anything else that glimmers in the grass
Definitions mainly taken from this glossary.
Looking for tweets for albino.