American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Something of great importance or consequence: made a big deal out of getting there on time; losing one penny was no big deal.
- n. An important person: She was a big deal in local politics.
- interj. Used ironically to indicate that something is unimportant or unimpressive.
- n. idiomatic Something very important, difficult, or of concern.
- interj. idiomatic, sarcastic Indicates that something is not important or impressive; so what.
- n. an important influential person
- n. anything of great importance or consequence
“Charlie was delighted because Kliner is such a big deal in the county.”
“Great, now Darci would make a big deal about Tink's amulet, too.”
“Tolliver made a big deal out of answering it casually, but I could see that he was tense.”
“Our driver, Mr. Kellhorn, was notorious for his erratic timing, though, showing up at various times between 7: 22 and 7: 29, which might not sound like a big deal to adults, but for kids hoping to avoid having their underwear winched into their asses, it was a horror.”
“I read online somewhere that Make$ might be signing a big deal real soon with Platinum Records.”
“From the amount of information Zoey had gleaned on the Internet this morning, Gina Jefferson was a big deal in New Orleans, a woman who worked behind the scenes rather than in front, but who had gained recognition for her efforts supporting the mentally ill.”
“Crushing the Vikings would have been a big deal for the Toltecs, victory over blond, bearded giants with their fearsome weapons of iron.”
“He did remember they'd made a big deal about his tridoctorum degree including neural physiology along with astrophysics and tech design, and there did seem to be a fair amount of neural data in the Institute's files.”
“Rivera was clinging to a single, micro-thin strand of hope: the second suitcase, the one that Masterson had made such a big deal about back at the trailer.”
“Retitling is no big deal and can be done by a combination of your:”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘big deal’.
technically interjections, but usually not part of any emotive exclamation
Trademark of Stephen Colbert and The Colbert Report.
Looking for tweets for big deal.