American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A small book or pamphlet containing poems, ballads, stories, or religious tracts.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One of a class of tracts upon homely and miscellaneous subjects which at one time formed the chief popular literature of Great Britain and the American colonies. They consisted of lives of heroes, martyrs, and wonderful personages, stories of roguery and broad humor, of giants, ghosts, witches, and dreams, histories in verse, songs and ballads, theological tracts, etc. They emanated principally from the provincial press, and were hawked about the country by chapmen or peddlers.
- n. A small book, usually made from a single sheet, folded several times, containing poems, ballads or religious tracts
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. Any small book carried about for sale by chapmen or hawkers. Hence, any small book; a toy book.
- chap(man) + book (so called because it was originally sold by chapmen). (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Tucked neatly at the back end of the chapbook is a selection of stills from the movie.”
“(The limiteds will be shipping shortly, as soon as the bonus chapbook is in hand, likely next week.)”
“Sunday, December 13, 2009 my chapbook is out, yay! i've been very bad about posting here, I know, but it's because I've been busy with a bunch of things.”
“These will be collections of the original November 2007 Wind Tunnel Dreams and as many of the 2008 ones as can fit in chapbook #2.”
“The Webs of Discord chapbook is now available as a free download for those interested in some lovely horror.”
“His latest chapbook is The Salvador-Dalai-Lama Express from Main Street Rag.”
“We can’t share a couple of glowing reviews this title received just yet, but we can tell you that the limited edition with bonus chapbook is already sold out, and the trade edition is selling as quickly as any title we’ve ever published by Caitlin.”
“We’ll pull the chapbook from the Tales page when it’s no longer available as a freebie.”
“Powers has provided the cover art and an introduction to a new James P. Blaylock project (first mentioned here in the Late July 08 News Round Up - this 64 page chapbook is being published by Subterranean Press and features three new stories by Blaylock written in collaboration with some of his creative writing students.”
“Copies of the limited edition, with an 11,000 word chapbook, “The Tricks of London”, also continue to sell steadily.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘chapbook’.
A collection of book words.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
Names of printed materials meant to be read - for worship, pleasure, information, recitation; out of curiosity, or, in the case of adverts, to get our attention and sway our spending choices.
Words used in the rare book trade (of which I was once a part). For more about how such books are put together, see hernesheir's excellent The Bindery.
... as in "by James Joyce"
Words I like
Looking for tweets for chapbook.