from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A person highly distinguished in a field, especially a master chef.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A skillful chef.
- n. An award given to such chefs.
- n. Thin slices of veal, ham and cheese breaded and sautéed; somewhat like a wiener schnitzel, or Viennese cutlet.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- a first-rate cook, or one worthy to be the cook of the cordons bleus, or Knights of the Holy Ghost, a distinguished order of French knights, famous for their good dinners.
- the blue ribbon worn by the Knights of the Holy Ghost.
- a person of high distinction.
- a dish prepared with thin slices of meat separated by layers of ham and cheese, and then sauteed.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an honor or award gained for excellence
- n. a chef famous for his great skill
French : cordon, ribbon + bleu, blue.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
French "blue ribbon" (Wiktionary)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.