from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A cover for a bed; a bedspread.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The topmost covering of a bed, often functioning as a blanket.
- n. A coverlet.
- n. A bedspread.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A coverlet for a bed, -- originally stitched or woven in squares or figures.
- n. A duplicate part or copy of an indenture, deed, etc., corresponding with the original; -- now called counterpart.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A bed-cover; a coverlet for a bed; a quilt; now, specifically, a coverlet woven of cotton with raised figures, also called Marseilles quilt.
- n. One part of an indenture; a copy or counterpart of the original of an indenture.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. decorative cover for a bed
Alteration of obsolete counterpoint, from Middle English countrepoint, from Old French contrepointe, alteration of coultepointe, from Medieval Latin culcita pūncta, stitched quilt : Latin culcita, quilt, mattress; see quilt + Latin pūnctus, stitched, pricked; see point.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)