American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A small dark speck or stain made by the excrement of a fly.
- n. A minute or insignificant spot.
- v. To mark or foul with flyspecks.
- v. Slang To examine closely or in minute detail; scrutinize: "[The company's] performance will be flyspecked for clues as to how well it will do over the calendar year” ( Harry A. Stark).
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An excrementitious stain made by an insect, chiefly by the common house-fly.
- n. Housefly excrement, visible as a minuscule black dot.
- n. By extension of above, anything tiny or insignificant.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A speck or stain made by the excrement of a fly; hence, any insignificant dot.
- v. To soil with flyspecks.
- n. a tiny dark speck made by the excrement of a fly
- adj. very small
“Name me one Democratic leader who says we can declare peace, pull down the Levalor blinds, and everything will be peachy -- Kerry doesn't talk that way, the voluble Biden doesn't (who said this weekend he didn't want to "flyspeck" the magnitude of Israel's military response), Hillary certainly doesn't.”
“Back in the glory days of Newt Gingrich, the House enacted a rule that would limit revisions to the Congressional Record to correct mistakes in grammar, typographical errors, and other such "flyspeck" matters.”
“ZIMMERMAN: Midway Island taken at the same time, in the same summer as the -- as the Spanish were defeated, another kind of flyspeck with a good naval base possibility in the Pacific.”
“He was arguing that Clinton had only a "flyspeck" of support and that the party should consider nominating someone else at the convention.”
“11-Mar-2009 - At Expo West recently, Shane Starling sat down with industry stalwart, Loren Israelsen, to discuss the Obama effect, Senator Richard Durbin of Illinois, the "flyspeck" that is the Dietary Supplements and Health Education Act (DSHEA),”
“He posted on Twitter: "Am I a Grinch or is it just an unbearably cute flyspeck?”
“Like the camera honing in on a flyspeck on a Pacific map, this miniseries zeroes in on a few key, fact-based characters and shows us things from their perspective.”
“There are only a flyspeck of votes in that hall and they are mostly semi-pro politicos, not regular voters.”
“It was a flyspeck island off the coast of Alaska, in the Bering Sea, not far from Siberia.”
“Aside from placing limits on jury awards in malpractice cases, two other ideas seem to have consensus support among Republicans: strengthening the prohibition against the use of federal funds to pay for abortions, and flyspeck oversight of the Obama administration's efforts to implement the health care law.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘flyspeck’.
brown rot, Colorado potato b..., dry rot of potatoes, dusky wireworm be..., early blight, fire blight, potato blight, late blight, potato ring rot, potato scab, potato wart, potato black scab and 140 more...
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
...with really cool names.
Adjectives that describe small objects.
strawberry crinkl..., groundnut eyespot..., passionfruit wood..., impatiens necroti..., cowpea mosaic virus, iris yellow spot ..., melon yellow spot..., peanut bud necros..., pepper mild mottl..., black stem rot, powdery mildew, downy mildew and 230 more...
Looking for tweets for flyspeck.