from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A gray mineral, essentially PbS, the principal ore of lead.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A mineral, lead sulphide (PbS), used as an ore for lead.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A remedy or antidote for poison; theriaca.
- n. Lead sulphide; the principal ore of lead. It is of a bluish gray color and metallic luster, and is cubic in crystallization and cleavage.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A remedy or antidote for poison; theriaca. See theriac.
- n. Native lead sulphid.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. soft blue-grey mineral; lead sulfide; a major source of lead
Latin galēna, lead ore.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)