from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A woman regarded as scolding and vicious.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A vicious and scolding woman, especially an older one.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A worn-out strumpet; a vixenish woman; a hag.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An odious old woman; a hag; a vixenish woman.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a scolding (even vicious) old woman
Possibly from French haridelle, gaunt woman, old horse, nag.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Perhaps a modification of French haridelle ("old horse, nag"). (Wiktionary)