American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or adjacent to the sea.
- adj. Of or relating to marine shipping or navigation. See Synonyms at nautical.
- adj. Of or resembling a mariner.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of, pertaining to, or connected with the sea or its uses; having physical relation to the sea: as, maritime dangers or pursuits; a maritime town or power.
- Relating to or concerned with marine navigation, employment, or interests: as, maritime law; a maritime project.
- In zoology, technically, inhabiting the sea-shore; living coastwise; littoral: distinguished from marine.
- adj. Related to the sea or sailing.
- adj. Bordering on the sea.
- adj. Living near or in the sea.
- adj. Of or relating to a mariner or sailor.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Bordering on, or situated near, the ocean; connected with the sea by site, interest, or power; having shipping and commerce or a navy.
- adj. Of or pertaining to the ocean; marine; pertaining to navigation and naval affairs, or to shipping and commerce by sea.
- adj. relating to or involving ships or shipping or navigation or seamen
- adj. bordering on or living or characteristic of those near the sea
- From Middle French maritime (Wiktionary)
- Latin maritimus, from mare, mari-, sea; see mori- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“BOWMAN: What America does need, Gates said, is for the Marines to preserve what he calls their maritime soul.”
“But we also need what we call maritime domain awareness.”
“But we also need what we call maritime domain awareness, and that's very persistent surveillance out there.”
“But it's part of a larger effort that we've had ongoing for sometime, what we call maritime intercept operations where we look for things like drugs moving, where we look for things like weapons moving, or any of the terrorist personnel themselves moving, not only in that region, but in other parts of the world.”
“The Department of Homeland Security has conceded that we really don't yet have technology that can effectively and certainly not efficiently economically detect the presence of radiation in maritime cargo.”
“The Pentagon has expressed concern about China's aggressiveness in maritime territorial disputes with its neighbors, including Japan and Vietnam.”
“Some kind of cite would be helpful, for the rest of us who are not experts in maritime law.”
“There is no requirement in maritime law that a blockading force must wait until the blockade runner enters territorial water, lest they encourage the runners to loiter with impunity while waiting for a favorable opportunity.”
“Blockade, i.e. the interdiction of all or certain maritime traffic coming from or going to a port or coast of a belligerent, is a legitimate method of naval warfare.”
“The mutiny on the Bounty is one of the most misunderstood events in maritime history.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘maritime’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
Words that describe the art of the impressionist era.
A combined list of
1. EU Buzz - single words
2. EU Buzz - collocations
3. EU Buzz - the 100 most active
absorption capacity, absorption rate, acceding country, accession candidate, accession countries, accession country, accession criteria, accession cycle, accession negotia..., accession partner..., accession priorities, accession treaty and 2650 more...
broker a peace ac..., client state, deadlocked peace ..., embassy, freeze, goodwill ambassador, hinterland, interfere in dome..., intervene personally, maintain technica..., mediation, no business as usual and 670 more...
1. Strictly EU terms with special European meaning used only in the EU
2. Keywords central to the understanding of the EU (people working for the EU are usually able to give thematic...
an immense, grandiloquent list that loads like a thousand years sentence in stone. new words are in the other lists.
Words I like mostly because of the way they sound and feel.
My words, generally
The philander, the trollop, the hooker with a heart of gold. How do you define this slutty siren?
Looking for tweets for maritime.