from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or adjacent to the sea.
- adj. Of or relating to marine shipping or navigation. See Synonyms at nautical.
- adj. Of or resembling a mariner.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Related to the sea or sailing.
- adj. Bordering on the sea.
- adj. Living near or in the sea.
- adj. Of or relating to a mariner or sailor.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Bordering on, or situated near, the ocean; connected with the sea by site, interest, or power; having shipping and commerce or a navy.
- adj. Of or pertaining to the ocean; marine; pertaining to navigation and naval affairs, or to shipping and commerce by sea.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of, pertaining to, or connected with the sea or its uses; having physical relation to the sea: as, maritime dangers or pursuits; a maritime town or power.
- Relating to or concerned with marine navigation, employment, or interests: as, maritime law; a maritime project.
- In zoology, technically, inhabiting the sea-shore; living coastwise; littoral: distinguished from marine.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. relating to or involving ships or shipping or navigation or seamen
- adj. bordering on or living or characteristic of those near the sea
Latin maritimus, from mare, mari-, sea; see mori- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Middle French maritime (Wiktionary)