from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A small mound of loose earth raised by a burrowing mole.
- idiom make a mountain out of a molehill To exaggerate a minor problem.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A small mound of earth created by a mole's burrowing underneath the surface of the ground.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A little hillock of earth thrown up by moles working under ground; hence, a very small hill, or an insignificant obstacle or difficulty.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A little hill, hillock, mound, or ridge of earth thrown up by moles in burrowing underground.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a mound of earth made by moles while burrowing
As I said, the policy may be ineffectual and, therefore, misguided, but criticism that makes a mountain out of a molehill is also misguided.
The difference between a mountain and a molehill is your perspective.
In this fight, the Clinton camp is the more aggressive of the two, and it's adept at what might be called molehill politics: making a very big deal in the press about something that's a very small deal — such as a single word in a mailing or a slip-up by an aide.
I ascended this mountain, which might better be called a molehill, by a flight of a hundred and thirty steps.
Hey, Comrade Markey, this "molehill" was manufactured by your own "scientists" who themselves don't believe in global warming as is evidenced by their desperate need to "hide the decline."
“Don't make mountain out of a molehill. .doesn't india's media have something else to report about???”
I only have to make a molehill of it all by the end of the day.
IMHO, you are making a mountain out of a molehill.
A little surprised that you would accuse me of making a mountain out of a molehill over this.
You truly are making a mountain out of a little molehill here.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.