from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. short form of Indian reserve or reservation
- n. short form of resolution (of a computer display, etc.).
- n. short form of college or university residence
- n. short form of resurrection
- v. short form of resurrect
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A thing; a matter; a point; a cause or action.
- n. An abbreviation of resigned;
- n. of reserve.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a widely distributed system consisting of all the cells able to ingest bacteria or colloidal particles etc, except for certain white blood cells
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Boadle, an English case of 1863,25 launched the phrase res ipsa loquitur—the thing speaks for itself.
We in turn had our arrangement with our label res - tructured so future payments from old albums wouldn't be channeled through him.
According to Descartes, man is a composite of two distinct substances—one an intellect, which he called res cogitans or, in English, a thinking substance; the other a body, which he called res extensa or, in English, a three-dimensionally extended substance.
Caldo de res is a simple soup, and simply delicious.
Coul é e, like all Savenni è res, is made from 100% Chenin Blanc.
Some connoisseurs think Savenni è res is the ultimate expression of Chenin Blanc (granted, it's a narrow field of competition).
WHEREAS, the word “republic” comes from the Latin res publica, which means “the public thing” or “the law,” while the word “democracy” comes from the Greek words demos and kratein, which translates to “the people to rule”; and
"There's a saying in Latin - res ipsa loquitur - 'the thing speaks for itself,"'commissioner Jim Delany said Sunday.
"There's a saying in Latin - res ipsa loquitur - 'the thing speaks for itself,'" commissioner Jim Delany said Sunday.
"There's a saying in Latin -- res ipsa loquitur -- 'the thing speaks for itself,'" commissioner Jim Delany said Sunday.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.