from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. See corn1.
- n. A light yellow to moderate orange yellow.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Corn; a type of grain of the species Zea mays.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A large species of American grass of the genus Zea (Zea Mays), widely cultivated as a forage and food plant; Indian corn, commonly called corn. Also, its seed, growing on cobs, and used as food for men and animals.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A cereal plant, Zea Mays, of the grass family; the Indian corn.
- n. The grain produced by the maize: Indian Corn.
- n. A coal-tar color, the sodium salt of the disulphonic acid of azoxy-stilbene. It dyes silk and wool reddish-yellow in an acid bath. Also called sun-yellow.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a strong yellow color
- n. tall annual cereal grass bearing kernels on large ears: widely cultivated in America in many varieties; the principal cereal in Mexico and Central and South America since pre-Columbian times
Spanish maíz, from Arawakan mahiz, mahís.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Spanish maíz, from Taino maisí, mahis (variously spelled). (Wiktionary)