from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Impertinent, disrespectful speech; back talk.
- transitive v. To talk impudently to.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. sarcasm, backtalk, cheek.
- v. To talk, to talk back.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Same as sauce.
- n. Vegetables, particularly those used in making sauces: as, garden sass.
- n. Insolence; impudence.
- To talk or reply saucily; be insolent in replying.
- To sauce; be saucy to.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. answer back in an impudent or insolent manner
- n. an impudent or insolent rejoinder
Back-formation from sassy1.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)