American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A resinous preparation of shellac and turpentine that is soft and fluid when heated but solidifies upon cooling, used to seal letters, batteries, or jars.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Shellac and rosin melted with turpentine, colored with suitable coloring matters, usually vermilion, and run into molds: used for making seals.
- Resembling red sealing-wax: specifically said of the peculiar tips of the feathers of the waxwings. See waxwing, Ampelis.
- n. Wax formerly melted onto a letter to seal it; the picture of the sender's seal was often pressed into the wax as evidence that the letter had not been opened.
GNU Webster's 1913
- A compound of the resinous materials, pigments, etc., used as a material for seals, as for letters, documents, etc.
- n. fastener consisting of a resinous composition that is plastic when warm; used for sealing documents and parcels and letters
“His fingers were trembling when he broke the half-coin from its restraining sealing wax in Dirk Struan's Bible and cleaned it.”
“Affixed to the thick flyleaf with old sealing wax were halves of two old Chinese bronze coins, crudely broken.”
“Clearly, once upon a time, there had been four such half-coins for there was still the imprint of the missing two and the remains of the same red sealing wax attached to the ancient paper.”
“A few days ago, someone had described in the "Children's Hour" how to make a reed-pipe out of a jointed wheat-stalk, or, failing that, out of a drinking straw with a blob of sealing wax at one end.”
“He folded the sheet of stationery, dribbled sealing wax along its seam, and pressed his ducal seal into the warm wax.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘sealing wax’.
includes words of the "Prodcom list"
Feel free to wax poetic.
Lessons from the art of letter writing.
To Whom It May Co..., Dear Sir or Madam, complimentary close, sincerely, valediction, salutation, yours truly, yours sincerely, sincerely yours, very truly yours, I am, Sir, your m..., yours faithfully and 24 more...
words that evoke magic, mystery, mayhem, magnificence or anything else that glimmers in the grass
Looking for tweets for sealing wax.