from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The state or process of ageing, especially in humans; old age.
- n. Ceasing to divide by mitosis because of shortening of telomeres or excessive DNA damage.
- n. Old age; accumulated damage to macromolecules, cells, tissues and organs with the passage of time.
- n. Fruit senescence, leading to ripening of fruit.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The state of growing old; decay by time.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The condition of growing old, or of decaying by time; decadence.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the property characteristic of old age
- n. the organic process of growing older and showing the effects of increasing age
From Latin senescere ("to grow old"). (Wiktionary)