American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Informal A person regarded as obnoxiously self-assertive.
- n. Informal An impudent person.
- n. One who is given to obnoxious or insolent humor; a wise guy.
- n. One who is pretentious about their own cleverness or knowledge; a know-it-all.
- n. One who is obnoxiously self-assured; a show off.
- n. rare A well-dressed person.
- n. an upstart who makes conceited, sardonic, insolent comments
- Aleck is a nickname for Alexander. The phrase "smart aleck" is possibly derived from the name Aleck Hoag, a 19th century con man and thief. (Wiktionary)
- Perhaps after Aleck Hoag, 19th-century American confidence man and thief. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
These user-created lists contain the word ‘smart aleck’.
Words to use in moments of high frustration that they hopefully won't understand.
Just trying to make things more manageable for the moment
Looking for tweets for smart aleck.