from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Land covered with grassy turf.
- n. A lawn or meadow.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A layer of earth into which grass has grown; turf; sod.
- n. An expanse of land covered in grass; a lawn or meadow.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Skin; covering.
- n. The grassy surface of land; that part of the soil which is filled with the roots of grass; turf.
- v. To produce sward upon; to cover, or be covered, with sward.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A skin; a covering; especially, the hide of a beast, as of a hog.
- n. The grassy surface of land; turf; that part of the soil which is filled with the roots of grass, forming a kind of mat. When covered with green grass it is called greensward.
- To produce sward on; cover with sward.
- To become covered with sward.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. surface layer of ground containing a mat of grass and grass roots
Middle English, from Old English sweard, skin.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Old English sweard ("skin, rind") (Wiktionary)