from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A marked change in form or appearance; a metamorphosis.
- n. A change that glorifies or exalts.
- n. Bible The sudden emanation of radiance from the person of Jesus that occurred on a mountain.
- n. The Christian feast commemorating this event, observed on August 6 in the Roman Catholic and Anglican Churches, on August 19 in the Eastern Orthodox Church, and on the Sunday before Lent in most Protestant churches.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a large change in appearance or form; a metamorphosis
- n. a change that exalts or glorifies
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. change of form or appearance; particularly, the change in the personal appearance of Christ, in the presence of three of his disciples (Peter, James, and John), described in Mat. xvii. 1–9; hence, some similar transformation.
- n. A festival observed in the Greek, the Roman Catholic, and the Anglican Churches on August 6th, in commemoration of Christ's transfiguration.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the act of transforming so as to exalt or glorify
- n. (New Testament) the sudden emanation of radiance from the person of Jesus
- n. (Christianity) a church festival held in commemoration of the Transfiguration of Jesus
- n. a striking change in appearance or character or circumstances
Sorry, no etymologies found.