from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- A river of eastern Russia rising near Lake Baikal and flowing about 4,296 km (2,670 mi) northeast and north to the Laptev Sea. Its delta is some 402 km (250 mi) wide.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A female given name, from the Scandinavian, German and Russian pet form of Helena, Magdalena and Yelena (also spelled Elena).
- proper n. Lena River, flowing 2,734 miles from the Baikal Mountains of Siberia to the Arctic Ocean.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A procuress.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A procuress: as, “my lean lena,”
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a Russian river in Siberia; flows northward into the Laptev Sea
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Lena started; but she could scarcely have reached the square in front of Michaels church, when the old woman, who had been lying in a half doze sat upright and called: Lena
This past July 4th some friends and I headed south from our farm to visit the new EcoGrove I Wind Farm in Lena, Illinois, located in Stephenson County (in the northwestern part of the state).
But all Lena is trying to do is extricate herself from this mess and just get through the next few days.
Lena is very sensitive, but she also operates with a deep disconnect from the trauma of her past.
These character background marathons - designed as entries in Lena's thought diary - read more like author notes and could have easily been trimmed down to make a leaner story and get the desired characterization.
Lena is a fingerprint expert at a crime lab in the small city of Syracuse, New York, where winters are cold and deep.
Lena is immersing herself in being the best painter she can be.
Do you think Lena is prepared for such information?
She called Lena and arranged to pick her up at noon.
The word Lena implies lazy -- a name justified by the circuitous flowing of its stream.