from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun A small instrument with bellows like an accordion but with buttons in place of keys.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun A musical instrument invented by Professor Wheatstone, the principle of which is similar to that of the accordion.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun A small musical instrument on the principle of the accordion. It is a small elastic box, or bellows, having free reeds on the inside, and keys and handles on the outside of each of the two hexagonal heads.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun music A musical instrument, like the various
accordions, that is a member of the free-reed family of musical instruments, typically having buttons on both ends.
- noun Something resembling a concertina, such as a folded book, a bus door or a set of picture frames that are folded together.
- noun A type of booklet label, consisting of up to 32 pages of booklet as an insert.
- verb to become
compressedinto a shape reminiscent of a concertina
- verb to be drawn closer and farther apart repeatedly, or up and down, as if situated on a working concertina's folds
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun coiled barbed wire used as an obstacle
- noun free-reed instrument played like an accordion by pushing its ends together to force air through the reeds
- verb collapse like a concertina
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
[concert + Italian -ina, feminine diminutive suff.]
Sorry, no example sentences found.