from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To combine (a column of figures, for example) to form a sum.
- transitive v. To join or unite so as to increase in size, quantity, quality, or scope: added 12 inches to the deck; flowers that added beauty to the dinner table.
- transitive v. To say or write further.
- intransitive v. To find a sum in arithmetic.
- intransitive v. To constitute an addition: an exploit that will add to her reputation.
- intransitive v. To create or make an addition: gradually added to my meager savings.
- add up To be reasonable, plausible, or consistent; make sense: The witness's testimony simply did not add up.
- add up To amount to an expected total: a bill that didn't add up.
- add up To formulate an opinion of: added up the other competitors in one glance.
- idiom add up to To constitute; amount to: The revisions added up to a lot of work.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To join or unite, as one thing to another, or as several particulars, so as to increase the number, augment the quantity, or enlarge the magnitude, or so as to form into one aggregate. Hence: To sum up; to put together mentally.
- v. To combine elements of (something) into one quantity.
- v. To give by way of increased possession (to any one); to bestow (on).
- v. To append, as a statement; to say further.
- v. To make an addition. To add to, to augment; to increase.
- v. To perform the arithmetical operation of addition.
- n. An additional enemy that joined the fight after the primary target.
- n. An act or instance of adding.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To give by way of increased possession (to any one); to bestow (on).
- transitive v. To join or unite, as one thing to another, or as several particulars, so as to increase the number, augment the quantity, enlarge the magnitude, or so as to form into one aggregate. Hence: To sum up; to put together mentally
- transitive v. To append, as a statement; to say further.
- intransitive v. To make an addition. To add to, to augment; to increase.
- intransitive v. To perform the arithmetical operation of addition.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To join or unite into one sum or aggregate.
- To unite, join, attach, annex, or subjoin as an augmentation or accretion; bring into corporate union or relation: with to before the subject of addition, and sometimes without an expressed object when this is implied by the subject: as, add another stone, or another stone to the pile; he continually added
- to his store; to add to one's grief.
- To put into the possession of; give or grant additionally, as to a person.
- To be or serve as an addition; be added: with to: as, the consciousness of folly often adds to one's regret.
- To perform the arithmetical operation of addition.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. bestow a quality on
- v. make an addition (to); join or combine or unite with others; increase the quality, quantity, size or scope of
- v. make an addition by combining numbers
- v. determine the sum of
- v. constitute an addition
- n. a condition (mostly in boys) characterized by behavioral and learning disorders
- v. state or say further
After reading her comment, the only thing I would add is that properly-rotated cattle or bison eating grass actually *add* an inch of topsoil to the earth each year.
That sort of responsibility has to come from inside a person, and with no incentive to add to what is already a perfect system i.e, live in maid and sexbot, why would men *add* to the resources of the nuclear family?
Slide 8: 它们的使用方法都相同： my $add = $memcached - > add ( '键', '值', '期限'); my
“add is that properly-rotated cattle or bison eating grass actually *add* an inch of topsoil to the earth each year.”
The only thing I'd add is a word or two about the desirability of light rail commuter trains, and a reminder that Flood Protection should also be a "front and center" election issue.
Since you want to change the label add a variable name to the button.
Yes | No | Report from jay wrote 17 weeks 3 days ago seadog nailed it. the only thing to add is to use a #4 (give or take) hook.
If you add something to nature, you will necessarily be greater than nature; to add is to increase, and to increase is to grow.
And then come in and do what we call add depth to the line.
Which, I might add, is glorious. sam they seem to keep hinding ang speaking on camera. normally that wouldn't mean much but after the performances of the happening that might mean something. also, having seen the series multiple times I kinda get the vibe that all the story elements have already been spoilt.