from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To put to use, especially to find a profitable or practical use for. See Synonyms at use.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Alternative spelling of utilise.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To make useful; to turn to profitable account or use; to make use of.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To turn to profitable account or use; make useful; make use of: as, to utilize a stream for driving machinery. Also spelled utilise.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. put into service; make work or employ for a particular purpose or for its inherent or natural purpose
- v. convert (from an investment trust to a unit trust)
If you think the word "utilize" is a smarter version of "use," read "The Most Annoying Business Jargon" at forbes.com.
The release we utilize is a standard filming release that all production companies must have signed by everyone they film - or the television broadcaster will refuse to air our material.
Not only because a number of the flavors and aromas are not shared between cultures, but also because many of the actual names of fruits and other foodstuffs in Japanese utilize somewhat obscure Kanjii characters, and are better rendered using more modern Hiragana characters.
• to utilize: is there any reason in the world not to utilize “use” instead?
One thing you mentioned that I don’t think marketers fully utilize is the online research for offline sales.
Wired. com points to games as a motivating factor for the move, as many titles utilize non-Apple code.
Both titles utilize the Wii Balance Board and can schedule players 'fitness regimes.
Does Fallout 3 utilize a karma system without a separate reputation system?
We felt like this would be the perfect time to kind of utilize that power, so we sat in the driver's seat, and let everyone who was interested come to us.
Not only that, they provided a friendly link that you can utilize which is rarely given in most mainstream outlets.