Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or pertaining to Peru, an ancient realm in South America, under the Incas, later a Spanish viceroyalty, and now a republic, extending from Ecuador southward to Chili.
- n. A native or an inhabitant of Peru, either
- n. one of the native race under the Inca empire, or
- n. an inhabitant of Peru after the Spanish conquest. The modern Peruvians are of Spanish, native, or mixed descent.
- n. plural A name applied to cob-money (formless lumps of stamped bullion), from the fact that it was struck in Peru, although frequently in other colonies also.
- n. A person from Peru or of Peruvian descent.
- adj. Of, from, or pertaining to Peru or the Peruvian people.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Of or pertaining to Peru, in South America.
- adj. of or relating to or characteristic of Peru or its people
- n. a native or inhabitant of Peru
“DANZA PERU Tondero perla de chira piura Peru INCA THE PERUVIAN ENSEMBLE Danza del Peru music and dance from peru Director Guillermo Bordarampe Los Angeles, CA USA "INCA", the Peruvian”
“The guanos, other than those which come from Peru, are chiefly purely phosphatic guanos, so that the term Peruvian has not unfrequently in the past been used as a generic term synonymous with the term nitrogenous, and consequently applied to all nitrogenous guanos independent of their source.”
“Mr. Rasmussen is erroneous in his translation of the term Peruvian into Spanish.”
“My Spanish has its definite limits, but when I'm in Peru and someone greets me with "Â¿Como esta?" and I reply, "OK," I am immediately and unequivocally understood - and a Peruvian is every bit as likely to use the word as I am.”
“From Peru anlgophone readers are missing the works of Joseph B. Adolph (Mañana las ratas - Tomorrow the rats for example, a classic in Peruvian sci-fi), or Juan Rivera Zaavedra (Who published very short sci-fi stories in a book called Cuentos sociales de ciencia ficción - Science fiction's social stories) just to name two.”
“It's a tiny owl that lives only in Peruvian cloud forests and so little is known about it that its genus name means "strange owl".”
“But the key ingredient, the one that makes it Peruvian, is our lemon.”
“So this time I thought about talking a little about another key ingredient in Peruvian food.”
“He's Peruvian, is there a difference in Mexico to say Peru?”
“When the captain asked me in what ship I had been wrecked, I said that a party of us had been carried out to sea in a pleasure-boat by a strong current, and that Arowhena (whom I described as a Peruvian lady) and I were alone saved.”
Looking for tweets for Peruvian.