American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adv. In the fresh air; outdoors: dining alfresco.
- adj. Taking place outdoors; outdoor: an alfresco conference.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In the open air; out of doors: as, to dine al fresco.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adv. In the open-air.
- adv. outside a building
- adj. in the open air
- From Italian al ("at the") + fresco ("cool") (Wiktionary)
- Italian al fresco, in the fresh (air) : al, in the (a, to, in from Latin ad; see ad- + il, the from Latin ille; see al-1 in Indo-European roots) + fresco, fresh. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“What is the meaning of the Italian word "alfresco"?”
“There is seating on the real "alfresco" dining terrace outside, but what am I, stupid?”
“They set out a kind of alfresco area under the trees, since none of them really wanted to be inside, and at any rate, Alberichs little sitting room would have been horribly cramped with all of them crammed into it.”
“Get a great taste of Chicago's vegetarian cuisine at the Taste of Chicago Finding Vegetarian support in Chicago Brunch 'alfresco' in”
“A waterfront picnic spot or GOG's best alfresco dining spots have got you covered.”
“If you're already looking forward to the alfresco charms of this summer's Lovebox, then you probably know you've still got some time to wait until you can comfortably quaff pints in the festival sunshine.”
“Jean Loncle An alfresco kitchen is nestled just off the pool and the edge of the terrace, where during rainy season, the Mekong waters rise up to the base of the terrace.”
“In the 1990s the revitalization of Delray Beach resulted in what is now the "in" weekend dining-out hotspot, alfresco-style.”
“But perhaps the Blue Jays will opt to open the roof and play those games alfresco in hopes of freezing Teixeira's bat.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘alfresco’.
Hopefully, I'll be using this site for more than one year. It will be fun then to look back and see what new words I found worthy of notice in any given year.
All words spotted in 2008...
1999 Â· 2000 Â· 2001 Â· 2002 Â· 2003 Â· 2004 Â· 2005 Â· 2006 Â· 2007 Â· 2008
words I discovered or was reminded of while playing FreeRice.
(it's nothin special)
Looking for tweets for alfresco.