from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adv. In the fresh air; outdoors: dining alfresco.
- adj. Taking place outdoors; outdoor: an alfresco conference.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Outdoors, open to the atmosphere
- adv. Outdoors; in fresh air.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adv. In the open-air.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In the open air; out of doors: as, to dine al fresco.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adv. outside a building
- adj. in the open air
Italian al fresco, in the fresh (air) : al, in the (a, to, in from Latin ad; see ad- + il, the from Latin ille; see al-1 in Indo-European roots) + fresco, fresh.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Italian al ("at the") + fresco ("cool") (Wiktionary)