from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Composed of, containing, or characteristic of calcium carbonate, calcium, or limestone; chalky.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Resembling or containing calcium carbonate or limestone; chalky.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Partaking of the nature of calcite or calcium carbonate; consisting of, or containing, calcium carbonate or carbonate of lime.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Partaking of the nature of lime; having the qualities of lime; containing lime; chalky: as, calcareous earth or stone.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. composed of or containing or resembling calcium carbonate or calcite or chalk
From Latin calcārius, from calx, calc-, lime; see calx.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin calcārius ("of or pertaining to lime"), derived from calx ("lime"). Similar to calcium. (Wiktionary)